Suggested Papers for Presentations
- Bisin, A. and Verdier, T., 2000. "“Beyond the melting pot”: cultural transmission, marriage, and the evolution of ethnic and religious traits". The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 115(3), pp.955-988.
- Bisin, A. and Verdier, T., 2001. "The economics of cultural transmission and the dynamics of preferences". Journal of Economic theory, 97(2), pp.298-319.
- Doepke, M. and Zilibotti, F., 2017. "Parenting with style: Altruism and paternalism in intergenerational preference transmission". Econometrica, 85(5), pp.1331-1371.
- Berman, N., Couttenier, M., Rohner, D. and Thoenig, M., 2017. "This mine is mine! How minerals fuel conflicts in Africa". American Economic Review, 107(6), pp.1564-1610. (Data)
- Harari, M. and Ferrara, E.L., 2018. "Conflict, climate, and cells: a disaggregated analysis". Review of Economics and Statistics, 100(4), pp.594-608. (Data)
- Dell, M. and Olken, B.A., The Development Effects of the Extractive Colonial Economy: The Dutch Cultivation System in Java". The Review of Economic Studies.
- Fulford, S., Petkov, I. and Schiantarelli, F., 2018. "Does it matter where you came from? Ancestry composition and economic performance of US counties, 1850-2010".
- Burchardi, K.B., Chaney, T. and Hassan, T.A., 2018. "Migrants, ancestors, and foreign investments". The Review of Economic Studies, 86(4), pp.1448-1486. (Data)
- Dohmen, T., Falk, A., Huffman, D. and Sunde, U., 2011. "The intergenerational transmission of risk and trust attitudes". The Review of Economic Studies, 79(2), pp.645-677. (Data)
- Clingingsmith, D., Khwaja, A.I. and Kremer, M., 2009. "Estimating the impact of the Hajj: religion and tolerance in Islam's global gathering". The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 124(3), pp.1133-1170.
- Campante, F. and Yanagizawa-Drott, D., 2015. "Does religion affect economic growth and happiness? Evidence from Ramadan. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 130(2), pp.615-658. (Data)
- Arruñada, B., 2010. "Protestants and Catholics: Similar work ethic, different social ethic". The Economic Journal, 120(547), pp.890-918.
- Giuliano, P. and Spilimbergo, A., 2013. "Growing up in a Recession". Review of Economic Studies, 81(2), pp.787-817.
- Malmendier, U. and Nagel, S., 2011. "Depression babies: do macroeconomic experiences affect risk taking?. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 126(1), pp.373-416.
- Fuchs-Schundeln, N. and Alesina, A., 2007. "Good-Bye Lenin (Or Not?): The Effect of Communism on People's Preferences". American Economic Review. (Data)
- Knudsen, A.S.B., 2019. "Those Who Stayed: Individualism, Self-Selection and Cultural Change during the Age of Mass Migration. Self-Selection and Cultural Change During the Age of Mass Migration
- Chen, Y. and Yang, D.Y., 2019. "Historical Traumas and the Roots of Political Distrust: Political Inference from the Great Chinese Famine".
- Dickens, A., 2019. "The Historical Roots of Ethnic Differences: The Role of Geography and Trade" (No. 1901).
- Jha, S., 2013. "Trade, institutions, and ethnic tolerance: Evidence from South Asia". American political Science review, 107(4), pp.806-832.
- Kitamura, S. and Lagerlöf, N.P., 2019. "Geography and State Fragmentation". Journal of the European Economic Association (Data)
- La Ferrara, E., Chong, A. and Duryea, S., 2012. "Soap operas and fertility: Evidence from Brazil". American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 4(4), pp.1-31. (Data)
- Doepke, M. and Zilibotti, F., 2014. "Culture, entrepreneurship, and growth". In Handbook of economic growth (Vol. 2, pp. 1-48). Elsevier.